Esther Berelowitsch discovered Finland through the literature of Arto Paasilinna. Since then, she has been building an archive of characters, signs, objects, places, and short stories about Finland and especially about Lapland. The things that occur most often in this archive are fantasy, solitude, the abnormal, fairy tales, topography, gestures, emptiness, the histrionic, linguistic coincidences and different worlds crossing over.
In Berelowitsch´s project ´Perfect Tittle-Tattle´, she will travel to Lapland and try to locate the places and stories gathered in her archive, and allow her fantasies to face the reality.
born in Paris 1982
lives in Paris
graduated by the Arts Décoratifs de Strasbourg (ESAD stg), Art section : DNAP with honours of the jury (best level), 2003, DNSEP with distinction for the great evolvement of my work, 2005
– Olivier Roller’s assistant, portrait photographer for Libération, french newspaper, Paris (july 2003)
– Set assistant and photographers assistant, Le Studio, Paris, fashion and still-life photography studio (november 2003 & july-august 2004)
– Assistant of Patrick Le Bescont, director of Filigranes Editions, Paris-Trézélan (from september 2005 to february 2006)
– Photographer for La Libre Belgique, belgian newspaper, Brussells (from march 2006 to june 2006)
– Collective exhibitionSoldes, Stimultania gallery, Strasbourg (may 2003)
– Collective exhibition Copyleft 2, PLateformes 2004, at ESAD Strasbourg (april 2004) -watch p.16
– Collective exhibition La Chaufferie de Descartes, with artist Franco Vaccari, La Chaufferie, ESAD’s gallery Strasbourg (mai 2004) projection of slideshows and videos (festival at l’Impasse, february 2004, festival of the Belleville workshops, may 2006…)
– Collective exhibition Festival Multifacettes, commissariat et self exhibition, La Chaufferie, ESAD’s gallery, Strasbourg (march 2005)
– Collective exhibition Mulhouse 006, the contemporary creation from artschools, exhibition hall of Mulhouse (june 2006) first meeting with François Barré, president of Les Rencontres d’Arles
– Collective exhibition Anonyme Zeichner n°4, Blütenweiss, Berlin (9-10 februar 2007)
– Artworks (photography and graphism from a text proposal) forSuicide in Vermillon Sands, to publishe book during april 2007, by Philippe Parreno, Walter König Editions
– Live photography, portraits, graphism for internet sites and album covers
– Free comissioned : images and words about the preparation & recording of the Rodolphe Burger new album http://lepointb.free.fr/
publications in La Libre Belgique (Belgium), Vintage Guitar Magazine (USA), La Marseillaise, Ouest France, Le Monde, Maison Magazine, Poly (France)
– with Filigranes Editions (since septembre 2005) conception and page setting, coordination and following projects, co-director of a brand new collection in childhood area (in progress, firt volet on december 2007)
– intermittently assistant of Lise Sarfati, photographer
Berelowitsch´s residency is organised within an ongoing residency exchange program with CEAAC – Le Centre Européen d´Actions Artistiques Contemporaines, Strasbourg, and with the support of La Région Alsace and FRAME – Finnish Fund for Art Exchange.