Helsinki-Frankfurt Residency Exchange 2022
The aim of the Helsinki-Frankfurt exchange is to provide participating artists with time, space, and support for their creative work and to foster dialogue, collaboration and networking opportunities. The programme is designed to promote the artistic and cultural interchange between the two cities and is based on the principle of reciprocity.
By this open call, one artist from Finland will be selected for a residency in Frankfurt (artists with a Finnish nationality and artists based in Finland are eligible to apply). The residency will take place in January–March, 2022.
The selected artist will be integrated into a functioning artistic network during their three-month sojourn at basis e.V. in Frankfurt. With over 120 studios at five different locations in Frankfurt and changing exhibitions of contemporary artistic positions, basis e.V. provides a lively and inspiring environment for guest artists. The two main basis e.V. buildings and the AIR- apartment and AIR – studio are located in Frankfurt’s central “Bahnhofsviertel” area, in close walking distance to the municipal theatre Schauspiel Frankfurt, the famous art university Städelschule, numerous museums, cafés and restaurants.
The residency includes:
- A working grant of 3000 euros as well as the payment of the travel costs (both provided by HIAP)
- A fully furnished apartment (approximately 30 sqm) at basis e.V.
- A 18 sqm studio at basis e.V. (in the adjacent building to the apartment)
- Presentation of residency artist’s own artistic approach in the context of a public artist talk
- Realisation of a final exhibition project at basis project room (basis e.V provides a 500 € production budget)
- Joint use of the wood workshops
- Access to the public reading room with international art magazines and selected literature
- A residency bicycle
- Free entrance to all museums in Frankfurt
- Curatorial support and consultation from the team of basis e.V.
The jury members in Finland are Milja Liimatainen (Curator / EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art) and HIAP board member Kiira Miesmaa (Executive Director / Galerie Forsblom). The jury will make a shortlist of applicants, the final selection is made by an independent jury in Frankfurt. The selected artist will be notified during November 2021. An open call for artists based Offenbach (next to Frankfurt) for a residency at HIAP in Helsinki will be published later in 2021 by basis e.V.
The deadline for the applications is Thursday, November 4, 2021 (11:59 pm, GMT +3).
To apply, applicants must submit the following by using an online application form:
- Motivation letter
- Working plan (optional)
- Short bio and a curriculum vitae
- Examples of previous work (links to artist’s website and/or other online material is sufficient)
Applications or supporting material sent by e-mail without using the online application form will not be taken into consideration.
Please note the following guidelines regarding additional material supporting your application:
- It is advised that all the supporting material is stored online and can be downloaded via the use of hyperlinks, which are mentioned in the application. Please make sure that the links do not expire before you have received the decision of the jury.
- All image / video / sound samples should be stored and shared online. It is advised to use platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc, so that downloading isn’t required to access the material.
Please note that we are unable to contact applicants upon receipt of each application, to address individual inquiries regarding proposals, or to comment further upon the selection process.