Helsinki-Frankfurt Residency Exchange 2024
An open call for Finnish and Finland-based artists for a three-month residency at basis e.V, Frankfurt in January-March 2024.
The aim of the Helsinki-Frankfurt exchange is to provide participating artists with time, space, and support for their creative work and to foster dialogue, collaboration and networking opportunities. The programme is designed to promote the artistic and cultural interchange between the two cities and is based on the principle of reciprocity.
The selected artist will be integrated into a functioning artistic network during their three-month sojourn at basis e.V. in Frankfurt. With over 120 studios at five different locations in Frankfurt and changing exhibitions of contemporary artistic positions, basis e.V. provides a lively and inspiring environment for guest artists. The two main basis e.V. buildings and the AIR- apartment and AIR – studio are located in Frankfurt’s central “Bahnhofsviertel” area, in close walking distance to the municipal theatre Schauspiel Frankfurt, the famous art university Städelschule, numerous museums, cafés and restaurants.
The residency includes:
- A working grant of 1000 € per month as well as the payment of the travel costs (both provided by HIAP)
- A fully furnished apartment (approximately 30 sqm) at basis e.V.
- A 18 sqm studio at basis e.V. (in the adjacent building to the apartment)
- Presentation of residency artist’s own artistic approach in the context of a public artist talk
- Realisation of a final exhibition project at basis project room (basis e.V provides a 500 € production budget)
- Joint use of the wood workshops
- Access to the public reading room with international art magazines and selected literature
- A residency bicycle
- Free entrance to all museums in Frankfurt
- Curatorial support and consultation from the team of basis e.V.
The jury members in Finland are artist and HIAP board member Elina Vainio and HIAP Director Juha Huuskonen. The jury will make a shortlist of applicants and the final selection is made by an independent jury in Frankfurt. The selected artist will be notified during November 2023. An open call for artists based in Frankfurt for a residency at HIAP Cable Factory in autumn 2024 will be published later on by basis e.V.
The deadline for the applications is Tuesday, October 31st, 2023 (11:59 pm, GMT +3).
To apply, applicants must submit the following by using the online application form:
- Motivation statement
- Short bio and CV
- Portfolio or examples of previous work (links to artist’s website and/or other online material is sufficient)
- Work plan (optional)
Applications or supporting material sent by e-mail without using the online application form will not be taken into consideration. Please note that due to the large number of applicants for our open calls, we are unfortunately unable to give feedback about individual applications.